Archive Document Scanning is an established company that specialises in the scanning of documents to free up space & resources for organisations.
Clive, the owner, has decades of experience in the document scanning & storage industry and has partnered with Lisa who runs ADS Document Storage; a sister-company to Archive Document Scanning.
Clive & Lisa enquired KK Digital together because of troubles with their website that they couldn’t quite pinpoint. Since ADS’s new site was a cloned version of Archive Document Scanning’s existing site, there was a presumption that a potential backend fault had been carried over. For this reason, both Clive & Lisa were enthusiastic to allow KK Digital to go into the backend, troubleshoot any issues & maintain each site going forward.
You can read about how we did the same job for ADS Document Storage here.
We started work by requesting all of the necessary accesses & logins required for the job, then migrated the WordPress websites onto our servers ready to troubleshoot and optimise.
Instantly, our team was overwhelmed with the amount of various plugins with few that were any use. An example of the mess was 2 different page builders being installed, meaning that some blog posts looked smart whilst others had no image, title or design. Aside from the backend tidy up, we also optimised the website’s front end so that navigation was much more streamlined, pages were interlinked, and calls to action were clear.
With the site migration came the need to move across Clive’s email accounts which, after a few intimidating button clicks, eventually moved over successfully. However, whilst the emails were correctly migrated on the backend, Clive still needed to reconnect his accounts to the devices/apps that he uses to send & receive emails. Well, well, well… Our team was puzzled as to why it was working at some points and then BHAM not working again!
We spent a considerable amount of time with Clive to get to the bottom of the issue and, with no luck, we consulted a network engineer for advice. Quickly we identified a firewall issue and after some chats with support teams, we managed to unblock Clive’s IP from the server that was preventing his emails from working when connected to his home Wi-Fi (who would’ve thought!).
Eventually, KK Digital had successfully performed the website migration, website optimisation & email migration for Archive Document Scanning. Clive was absolutely delighted to witness a quick resolution to a serious issue with his emails and now he can be confident in his site with a team he trusts to manage it like it was their own.
Since working with Clive & Lisa, we have agreed to perform ongoing SEO work to rise up through the search results so keep an eye out for their following case studies.